Monday 10 March 2008

Look what I learned!

Again, there's a list. Because it's faster for me to write. Because - admit it - you prefer it to long bulks of texts filled with stories and non-adventures. Because we all want structure in our lives, even when everything is in fact the chaos we love. Because we don't always want to get too philosophical, especially not on a blog and especially not right now.

1. A butterface. Sounds cute, but is the exact opposite. Can be hot if you don't look up. Cannot be used for guys, though (dicit Niko).

2. Winter ain't over 'till it's over. That is to be taken literally. I'm coming back when it's really summer here, see what that's like. Or, can anyone send me a tourist visa?

3. Language is not to be taken literally. What people say is mostly not what they mean. Maybe that is why I prefer ellipsis...

4. When someone who's drunk says "let's climb up the roof", take it literally. They don't mean "let's go up some flat roof or balcony that might be there", they really mean"let's climb out the window and up the roof". Which is not always a bad idea, it might be nice in the sun. But it definitely is when they're drunk.

5. Tea is never tea. It's sweets and salty snacks. And wine. And beer. Loads of. Can be vodka or that very strong Greek drink I forget the name of. But never tea. (hence previous bullet)

6. Some U of C slogans (apart from the one quoted on this blog already "Where fun comes to die"): "University of Chicago...
...where the only thing that goes down on you is your GPA."
...where the men all look like Woody Allen, and the women do too."
...if it were easy, it would be your mum."
...Hell does freeze over."
...where the squirrels are more aggressive than the guys."
...where the squirrels are cuter than the girls."
...I don't mind getting laid, because the U of C is fucking me over anyway."
...it's like unprotected sex: you're glad you got in, but sorry you came."
...our ivory tower is bigger than yours."
...the limit of sex as it goes to the UofC is zero."
...the level of Hell Dante forgot."
...if I wanted an A, I would have gone to Harvard."

7. Words I want to pick up:
- word
- ish
- peeps
- psh

8. Words I didn't want to pick up at all but did anyway:
- like
- awesome
- come on (said in my own special way)
- some dirtier expressions not fit for public blogs

After writing up what I learned and realizing it's not that much, I'm wondering whether I wanna stay longer so that I can learn more before going back, or whether I wanna leave not to waste more time. Hmmmm...

1 comment:

Mister Jay said...

Hé Lobke,Ik heb eindelijk is de tijd genomen om je terug te schrijven je weet wel hoe dit gaat hé. Ik ging je al een maand geleden iets laten weten maarja. Ondertussen heb ik je hele blog gevolgd en heb er veel plezier aan gehad tot nu toe. Maar ik begin je wel te missen ze. Ik heb ondertussen op verschillende vakantiebeurzen gestaan voor het werk. En ben nu aan het genieten van de zon in Turkije. Ben hier met klanten is hier nu 25 graden. Ik zal de zon in mijn valies steken voor je thuiskomst, maar ik kan je niets beloven hé :-)Ik kijk uit naar je terugkomst, geniet er nog van en tot binnenkort. Zit natuurlijk weer in het buitenland als je terugkomt, maar je zal het dan wel druk genoeg hebben. Dikke kus en groeten,