Sunday 16 March 2008

green green, everything's green (and drunk)

St Paddy's Day. The day when the whole city is covered in a green coat and smells of beer. When you see herds of tottering Americans pretend they are in fact Irish ("Hey man, I'm at least one sixteenth Irish"), probably because they think being American will not get you laid. The fact that St. Patrick Day might get you there, has probably more to do with the rivers of alcohol than with the proclaimed Irishness.

Anyway...some IHouse friends of mine and me went downtown because the city has spent millions to create some bio-organic colouring, green of course, to give the Chicago river a new look. And actually, it was pretty impressive: a big part of the river turned bright green in a couple of minutes. And I didn't see any three-eyed fish jump out of the water yet, so maybe it is not as bad for the environment as it looked. (pictures coming up)

The parade that followed the dyeing of the river green (god, I love resultatives) was pretty lame, but it's a parade, what did we expect? So the majority of girls in our group dragged the boys along on their shopping trip and lost them as we were going. This was actually the first time I really went shopping downtown and in one fell swoop I found (almost) all of my presents. The only problem now will be to fit everything in my luggage next week...Oh my, next week...Let's chill today!

No comments: