Sunday 20 January 2008

Miscellaneous stories from the deep freeze

It's winter in Chicago. I know because I can't feel my legs anymore after a ten minute walk to the library. I know because my breathing literally creates ice drops in my scarf. I know because it is becoming a problem that the radiator in my room doesn't work. There's something missing though...oh right: snow!

After a week of moderately cold weather and me reading for my semantics class and syntax seminar (Yes, I am doing linguistics here...That's why I don't post any story during the week. Most of you wouldn't be able to take that much excitement), the cold and the weekend kicked in hard. UChicago, where fun come to die? No way!

On Friday I went to Greek town with Alice, Jasmin, Peter, Ryan and Niko, all linguists, and Jasmin's cousin Felicia. All very nice and funny people, I had a wonderful time and a great laugh. Peter was right: this is the fun-loving crew of the department and I wanna be part of it! Thanks guys!

Saturday evening, dancing queen! I let my frozen legs walk me to the International House for a party and I will let them do it again soon. The I-House is where most exchange students reside, which means that parties there exhibit other dance styles than grinding. Excellent! We even had a short salsa session. And they bring in pizza round 11. Dancing and food, right on! (Maybe that's why you see less grinding there...not to spoil each other's appetite)

So, I-House, great discovery. Another part of Chicagoan spirit I came across is the slang (I'm still a linguist). Some words I've learned so far: word - you can use that practically in any context, as affirmation for instance -, for real(s) - meaning 'for sure', 'really' -, legit - for anything cool or appropriate -, ricoculous - and any other creation where you replace dic in ridiculous with the name of a male body part. It's not much yet, but it still beats relaxt, the only slang term I heard - not: picked up - during my four months in the Netherlands.

I don't want to leave in two months!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ik wil wel da je terugkomt! No matter how fun it is over there :(

Anonymous said...

Hé vet daaro!! Leuk ook dat je echt winterweer mag meemaken, ik mis de kou hier.
Oh en de LOT Winterschool... het is toch niet hetzelfde zonder de Babes van Brussels, je collega's waren er ook al niet. 'Kopje Koffie' was er dan weer wel.. uiteraard!

Groeten, Parcival

Marko said...

Watch out not to freeze :) Is there really no one to take a look at your radiator? Awful, I'd die! Enjoy yourself & learn a lot, I'm sure you will. And don't be sad already, you have lots of time still.
P.S. Salsa, woehoe - geweldig! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ik zei het nog in mijn vorige post: "zie maar dat ge niet wilt blijven". Maar ja, naar mij luisteren hebt ge nooit gedaan hé :-)
Als ge nog meer dergelijke slang wilt weten om uw vriendjes ginder te verbazen, dan kan ik u wel enkele hiphip/rap liedjes aanbevelen. Laat maar weten, fo shizzle

xxx
Uw Beertje

Anonymous said...

Dat ziet er daar ook wel een beetje 'my kind of crazy' uit. Ik besef nu pas hoe snel de tijd gaat. Toen we op reis waren deden Roos en ik het ene na het andere, nu ben je al bijna een maand weg en het lijkt nog maar een week. Maar goed, zoals die andere daar al zei, je hebt nog tijd genoeg. Ik ga nu pintjes pakken en van 't weekend moeten we ook eens gaan dansen, want het is alweer angstaanjagend lang geleden. Is er iets vreemds met mij aan de gang? Krijg ik grijze haren? Kan ik nog maar uitgaan tot 6 ipv 7? Stoor ik mij aan drukke feestzalen waar iedereen je duwt? Ik durf er niet op te antwoorden. Dit is uiteraard volledig naast de kwestie. 't Is maar dat ik niet enkel wou zeggen: we missen u en hopen dat ge snel terugkomt. xXx

Anonymous said...

I so know what you mean when you say "I don't wanna go back in two months". But let the old woman tell you: there is still loads to come! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Super dat je het daar zo goed hebt! Ik mis u, ma ik steek mijn avonden zo vol mogelijk, ge kent mij:-)
Maandag mag ik mondeling gaan doen bij een buurtwerking in Etterbeek, duim voor mij, want ik zal het nodig hebben. Tis voor coordinator van de kinder-en jeugdwerking.

Anonymous said...

dag lob, zeg is da de bedoeling da ik gewoon iets zeg hier, of kunt gij hierop ook atwoorden. hmm da snap ik dus ni. Precies wel veel sneeuw aan die foto's te zien, swel tof da, kunt ge ni gaan snowboarden, skieën of langloufen (op zen sennes geschreven). Het schijnt gingt ge ne kilo chocolat krijgen, das wel tof da, maar is het nu gelukt dienen over te vliegen?
Hier is alles zoals gewoonlijk, ik heb nog vakantie (fijn in vakantie te zijn=> want da rijmt)
Amuseer je ginder nog en ja, tot de volgende keer maar weer.
Er kwam een varkentje met een lange snuit....... en iedereen lachte hem uit (: