Monday 14 January 2008

The Chicagoan dating/dancing scene

Any European has seen movies about this, but the American dating scene is even more complicated than the movies are willing to show. And more different from what I am used to than I expected.

So I figured it is time to tell you something about my flatmates. They are all very sweet guys and I like hanging out with them. The bunch of them reminds me a lot of my brothers and their friends back home. A very nice crew to be around. (Of course, my dear Jesse and Senne, they will never replace you!)

Now these guys took me to a party this weekend. Despite the fact that almost everyone was at least four years younger than I am - not that anyone noticed my greater maturity, but still -, I had a good time. The people who know me a bit better know that I am a real party animal and love dancing even if no-one else dares to thread the dance floor yet. However, dancing is a relative notion, it appeared. Not only do people stare when you're dancing on your own, they like to come ridiculously close, in spite of my - and their! - sweat and the vast space behind them. You might have seen this dance-style called grinding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_%28dance%29) in Dirty Dancing. You might even have tried it just for fun at some party. You might also have caught yourself thinking - as I have - that some people should NOT dance like that. Here, however, they don't care about other people's appetite - and why should they? There's no food at this party anyway - and go on rubbing their - bleep - against each other's legs all night long. Hey, I know taste is subjective. Only, please, don't try humping towards me like a monkey if I don't look in the least interested. I wasn't!

However, laughing at drunk people in their face can be fun too. I like it here. :-)

PS: I noticed that the slideshows don't always load as quickly, so here's the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/home

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wou dat ik er bij kon zijn als ik alles zo lees. Ge doet dat daar heel goed precies. Zie maar dat ge niet wilt blijven en nog wilt terugkomen.

beertje
xxx

Anonymous said...

haha.. oh the bar scene.. you were bound to face it smday :) anyway, i just saw your blog, and you've been here for almost two weeks now!
you know i was THIS close to going to Chicago, in fact my mother is there right now and I was going to go with her and have sum fun.. But soon I relaised that it's more fun to be with my husband ;)
Anyway, have all the funyou can but stay away from deepdish pizza! hehe.. tell me when you are in NY!!

DENIZ

Anonymous said...

Hoi Lobke,

Zo te horen heb je het daar erg naar je zin, leuk!

Nog interessant date-materiaal gespot (dat niet te dirty danst)? Misschien een appetijtelijke flatmate? Hou de behaarde exemplaren wel voor Mo, he, ik ben ervan overtuigd dat die wel te vinden is voor een romantisch dinertje bij kaarslicht in dat Belgisch restaurant.

Veel plezier nog! Kus!